The Fort Payne Chamber of Commerce is pleased to announce its 2018 Scott Bateman Memorial Scholarship. Through this program, we seek to recognize a Fort Payne High School Senior who demonstrates leadership skills and who is deserving of special recognition. The deserving student will be awarded a $1000 scholarship to be used at the accredited institution of his/her choice. We are looking for a student who displays a combination of leadership, academic achievement and community involvement.
- Classified as a senior at Fort Payne High School.
- 3.0 GPA or higher cumulative GPA.
- Demonstrated civic involvement and/or community involvement and leadership skills are required.
- Relatives of the staff and/or Board of Directors at the Fort Payne Chamber of Commerce are not eligible to apply.
How to Apply
- Complete the online scholarship application in full.
- Prepare an essay, one page or 350 words in length, discussing the role of a Chamber of Commerce as you understand it, and how you could apply your skill set through partnering with the Chamber of Commerce.
- Include a resume that lists activities in which you have been involved in and the number of years you have participated in each. Also include any offices held.
- Submit an educator’s letter of recommendation from a teacher or counselor.
- Include a copy of your most recent grade transcript. If available, include test scores and/or class rank with the transcript.
Applications must be received at the Fort Payne Chamber of Commerce office no later than April 2, 2018. Please submit online or mail supporting documents to (please submit online or by mail not both):
Fort Payne Chamber of Commerce
300 Gault Ave. N
Fort Payne, AL 35967
Supporting Documents Checklist
Letters of Recommendation – Educator
Letter of Recommendation – Non-Family Member
Candidate applications will be reviewed by members of the Fort Payne Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors. The top three candidates will be interviewed at the Chamber of Commerce by members of the Fort Payne Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors. A candidate will be selected based the candidate’s application and interview.